The Blossoming Becky Albertalli / REVIEW: The Upside Of Unrequited - Becky Albertalli


The Upside Of Unrequited - Becky Albertalli
Published by Penguin Randomhouse on 11 April 2017.
Book Depository purchase link.
My rating: 4/5

Becky Albertalli is a blossoming author. Seriously, watch this space, she is well on her way to becoming one of the biggest YA writers around.

Her first novel, Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda, is being adapted into a movie and gave Albertalli her start amongst the YA audience. This month she's releasing The Upside Of Unrequited and so far it has been gathering some fantastic initial ratings and reviews. I've not read Albertalli's first book but Simon does get a few handy mentions and I can imagine that fans are going to love that aspect of it.

Molly is a twin, a teenager and girl who is uncomfortable in her own skin. Her grandma goes on about her size and it doesn't help that none of Molly's crushes develop into actual relationships. Her friends and sister are determined to set her up with a new guy they meet - Hipster Will - and Molly goes along with the ride, not giving herself a moment to consider whether or not she really likes him.

I loved the confidence behind the LGBT characters - Cassie, Mina, Nadine and Patty as the most obvious mentions. It shows that just because a character is LGBT, it doesn't mean they have to be hiding in a closet, single or embarking on their first relationship and being judged by every other character and I hope it helps LGBT readers who are struggling by letting them know it's possible to be in a happy, healthy situation. I also like that it didn't focus on 'first relationships' exclusively because this added realism and depth which ultimately made the story easier to connect with. In regards to the LGBT characters, I thought it was great to show that in some instances they'd dated other people and in some cases they hadn't. It sounds dumb and minor but you'd be surprised how many writers overlook that bisexual, gay teens and so on, often have more than one relationship in their lives.

Reid was by far my favourite character. He's Molly's work colleague and something about his voice and the way he was described made him so real to me. I honestly believed I had a mate called Reid and the day I finished the book I genuinely missed him. Maybe it works because lots of people have a Reid of their own in their lives. I definitely know who mine is...

I really enjoyed the writing style that surrounded her. The way her thoughts, anxieties and happy moments were portrayed were so vivid. The stream on consciousness was funny in all the right places and cropped before it became boring. That balance taught me a lot about my own writing. Fellow authors will relate when I describe reading a book that makes me feel bad about my own. Like how can I reach this level of awesome?! 

A beautifully crafted and important story, The Upside Of Unrequited is a must read for fans of YA and romance. 

Let me know if you're read it/plan to! You can tweet me @JessikahHope.

Love, Jess

I received an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I agree with this all. I loved Reid and Molly so much. I can't wait for more from Becky Albertalli!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com