April Wrap Up


April has been a crazy reading month for me and it's been all over the place! I took part in my first readathon, SundayYAthon, over Easter weekend and loved it. Without further ado, here are the 16 books I read...

Inside The O'Briens - Lisa Genova

1/5


This is the one Lisa Genova book that I haven't liked. In fact, I hated it. It was racist, sexist, obsessed with hating on vegans and had a ridiculous attitude towards Irishness. Here are my most hated quotes.

The Secret - Katerina Diamond

1/5


Painfully generic with poor and inconsistent writing, I could not like The Secret no matter how hard I tried. It didn't click with me and I found so many faults with it, including quite a sexist portrayal of the female characters. Here's my review on Goodreads for more criticism.

Obsession - Amanda Robson

1/5


I had so many problems with this book, oh dear. It's a thriller with four perspectives, about two couples who cannot control their sexual urges. It's a disgusting, exploitative portrayal of mental health. Here's the rest of my rant on Goodreads.

The Problem With Forever - Jennifer L Armentrout

2/5


Oh dear. This is a bad YA romance. I couldn't root for the couple because it felt completely wrong and weird. The portrayal of Mallory's developing sexuality was so unrealistic that it was laughable.  

Saint Death - Marcus Sedgwick

3/5


I'm not sure who Saint Death is aimed at but it was an eye opening reading experience. Here's my full review.

Pandemonium - Lauren Oliver

3/5


This book took me so long to get through! I listened to it as an audiobook and it took me almost the entire month. I couldn't get into it for so long and the middle section dragged so much. Nonetheless, the ending saved it and I can't wait to read the last book in the trilogy.

Scarlet - Marissa Meyer

3/5


Scarlet is the second book in the Lunar Chronicles series. It's not as good as Cinder, and in parts feels like one long action sequence, but it's witty and enjoyable and has definitely motivated to keep going to the next book.

Winter In Madrid - C J Sansom

4/5


Maybe this novel was a little too over hyped or maybe I just don't love historical fiction that much, but Winter In Madrid did not meet my expectations. I was preparing myself for a 5/5 read, but that's not to say it wasn't good. It's about the troubles in Spain in the 1930s-40s and the two sides of the political battle, with a woman in love who is willing to do anything.

But Then I Came Back - Estelle Laure

4/5


But Then I Came Back was so different and unique, I really didn't know what to expect. I have a full review here.

Girlhood - Cat Clarke

4/5


Girlhood is another great Cat Clarke YA thriller. While it didn't surpass my love for The Lost And The Found, it was a fun story set in a boarding school. Look out for my full review next week!

The Hawkweed Prophecy - Irena Brignull

4/5


Has your life been lacking witches since the end of Harry Potter? While I'm not claiming that The Hawkweed Prophecy is the new HP, it's definitely filled the magical hole in my soul. It's about a world of witches, a prophecy and two girls that are switched at birth. I can't wait for the sequel! 

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher

4/5


After watching the (brilliant) TV show, I decided to re-read Thirteen Reasons Why. I didn't appreciate it that much when I first read it years ago, but this time around I fully embraced the characters. While I think that the TV show is better, as the characters are more thoroughly developed, the book is well worth a read. It's so moving. Hannah Baker commits suicide and leaves behind tapes with 13 reasons why.

Windfall - Jennifer E Smith

4/5


 This is another title I'll be reviewing in the first week of May. It's about friendship and love. When Teddy wins the lottery, he loses himself. Only Alice can bring him back. Look out for my full review!

The Muse - Jessie Burton

4/5


As someone who didn't love The Miniaturist, I was blown away by The Muse. I never thought I'd enjoy a book about art so much. The colliding cultures, historical beauty and riveting characters made this story. Highly recommend.

One Italian Summer - Keris Stainton

5/5


Looking for something beautiful and summery? One Italian Summer is my recommendation of the season. For fans of Morgan Matson, this YA romance has everything I look for. A full review will follow in the first week of May.

Big Little Lies - Liane Moriarty

5/5


I've written a full review for Big Little Lies, which you can read here. I strongly recommend watching the TV show too!

What have you been reading this April?

Love, Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com