REVIEW: Seven Days Of You - Cecilia Vinesse


Seven Days Of You - Cecilia Vinesse
Published by Hachette Children's Group on 9 March 2017
Book Depository purchase link.
My rating: 4/5

Before this week, I'd never heard of Cecilia Vinesse or her gorgeous YA contemporary romance, Seven Days Of You. But, after reading it, I now feel like I need to wield the power of this blog and let as many people know about it as possible!

Sophia has one week left in Tokyo, the place she calls home. Annoyingly, that's also the week that Jamie returns. They used to be friends, but with a whirlwind history and some unexplained feelings, it's not that simple. 

Two wonderful authors endorsed this book with beautiful quotes - Becky Albertalli and Jennifer E. Smith. When you see quotes from other authors you like (if you're anything like me) you're sold. Smith described it as "genuinely romantic" and I couldn't disagree. The chemistry between all of the characters (friends, family, and romantic relationships) was completely believable and distinct. I loved Sophia's relationships with her sister Alison, and her mum. They had that kind of family vibe that says home is where your heart is, rather than a place, which was perfectly fitting to the story.

And, of course, the romance. At first, I didn't really understand what was so striking about Jamie, but it all became clear quickly. He's genuinely lovely. Not some kind of muscly, God-like male who sees himself above all (like David), he's perceptive and caring and that's what made me start rooting for them.

In a novel that has a time limit, you start wondering: how is this going to end?! Is she still going to leave? Is he going to try and find a way to come with her? Will they stay together? Ultimately, I think Vinesse handled the end very well - it has all the feels. Although, was anyone else expecting an email as an epilogue?!

As a writer myself, Seven Days Of You was one of those books that made me panic and go: how can I ever write something this good?! That's when you know you're reading something pretty damn special.

Let me know what you think of it! Have you read any other YA romances lately? Are you, like me, dying in wait for the next Morgan Matson? 

Love, Jess

Thank you Little, Brown Books for sending me a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com