REVIEW: The Escape - C L Taylor


The Escape - C L Taylor
Published by Harper Collins on 23 March 2017.
Book Depository purchase link.
My rating: 4/5

I have previously read and enjoyed all of C L Taylor's psychological thrillers, however I have to admit I went into The Escape hoping for more. As much as I have enjoyed her works so far, I felt like a pattern was forming in the writing, particularly amongst the female protagonists. However, Joanne Blackmore was a truly unique and exciting character to get to know and I am completely convinced that Taylor stepped it up with The Escape. Basically, if you thought she was good before, you'll be even more impressed now.

The Escape is the story of Joanne who one day gives a stranger a lift and lives to regret it. The stranger knows who she is and somehow has information about her daughter too. Soon, Jo feels like the only way to protect her little girl is to escape. 

This is one of those stories where you don't know who to trust. I suspected every character at one point or another, second guessing myself and spying clues here, there, and everywhere. It's a style that Taylor does incredibly well - she keeps you guessing right until the moment she wants to unravel the truth. Then you're left staring at the page in complete and utter shock.

The world of The Escape was very thorough too, with meaningful background characters and clever sub-plots to feed in to the main story. I particularly enjoyed the inclusion of Jo's parents, although I felt that her friendship with Helen was a little too perfect. Without spoiling anything, I think the ending overlooked Helen, making their friendship seem a little too convenient and not genuine. Otherwise, you can tell just how well-researched The Escape is. There are so many specific details that build up the alternate reality - Jo could be a woman walking around Bristol or Ireland right this second. The Irish landscape depictions were some of my favourites that I've ever come across. It's impressive how vivid and thrilling Taylor can be at once. 

As a reading experience, The Escape was insanely quick. The short chapters kept it pacey and I can imagine that most people will be able to dip in and out, or fully engross themselves, and be completely engaged either way. There are also sections written by an unknown narrator for around two thirds of the story and the suspense to know just who's voice it is was unbearable! I had to keep going and find out, right away. I'm happy to say that I was completely satisfied with every revelation of the story. Nothing was too obvious, or thrown in out of thin air. In fact, the believable style is what made it so chilling.

Have you read any C L Taylor before? I would definitely recommend her books, particularly The Escape, if you've enjoyed authors like Louise Jensen and Lisa Hall. Let me know what you make of the new release!

Love, Jess

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com