March Wrap-Up: The One With All The Genres



This month I set out to read widely. I'm in the process of writing a YA crime novel and wanted to get some distance from the genre (without eliminating it) as a sort of experiment. It completely worked and I've loved spending time getting into some romance, thrillers and even sci-fi. 

Here are the 12 books I read in March...

1. Go Set A Watchman - Harper Lee

2/5


One of the most disappointing books I have ever read - Go Set A Watchman should never have been published. I didn't know until I took to the internet that it is an early draft of To Kill A Mockingbird. An early draft with very few edits at that! Slow with no plot, I wouldn't waste your time.

2. Three Wishes - Liane Moriarty

3/5


I'm glad that I read Three Wishes even though it took quite a while to get into. It's not the kind of book you can race through and it's hard to place it in a genre. It's about three sisters and their complicated relationship. Overall, a worthwhile read but not Moriarty's best.

3. Life And Death - Stephenie Meyer

3/5


I read this for an essay I was working on and had been meaning to get around to it anyway. It's a re-telling of Twilight with the genders swapped. When my seminar tutor told me that it has a different ending I had to read it. The alternate ending was a huge disappointment but this was so interesting from the point of view of a student.

4. A Little Life - Hanya Yanagihara

3/5


When I turned the final page of A Little Life I felt so much relief. I'm not sure if that was because it had taken me ten days to plough through or because it was such a satisfying read. It's definitely got the most character depth I've ever read. It's a moving story of four best friends as the grow up and experience the ups and downs of life.

5. Seven Days Of You - Cecilia Vinesse

4/5


I posted a full review of this adorable YA romance here. A cute and quick story on an international scale.

6. The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

4/5


Another book for university, The Time Traveler's Wife is one of my favourite stories. I re-watched the film and sobbed. Yes, it's problematic in parts, but its so romantic. If you don't already know, it's about a time travelling man and his relationship with an ordinary woman named Clare.

7. Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

4/5


One of my favourite reads as a young teenager, I re-read Twilight for university and got to study it in depth. I've gained a new respect for Stephenie Meyer for taking a chance on an idea for a book and starting a whole new trend of YA Vampire Romances. 

8. P.S. I Like You - Kasie West

4/5


This audiobook was short, sweet and cute. Another YA romance, this one is about a girl who starts writing song lyrics on a desk. When she starts receiving replies a relationship begins via letters. The pen pal's identity is shocking. It really shows that love can come from the unexpected!

9. The Escape - C L Taylor

4/5


My favourite of C L Taylor's novels so far! Here's my full review.

10. The Upside Of Unrequited - Becky Albertalli

4/5


I have a special place in my heart for The Upside Of Unrequited. It actually hurt to read because it was so good - I felt painfully inferior as a writer. Albertalli has a talent for capturing diverse voices and this story of teenagehood and young love is impressive. Look out for my full review next week!

11. Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

5/5


I know, since when do I read dystopian sci-fi. I bloody loved this book. It was so different and so masterfully written. Ernest Cline created a world in which everyone uses the OASIS - an online gaming world - to live their lives, go to school, etc. There's a competition to win billions and control of the OASIS and everyone is desperate to win. Basically, it's got vibes of The Hunger Games but it's way better.

12. A List Of Cages - Robin Roe

5/5


This is the best book I have read in ages. A List Of Cages is about two boys who were separated and reunited. Adam and Julian are an unlikely pairing with distinct young voices. Julian has a horrifying dark secret that left me with chills. I read it right at the start of the month but I can't stop thinking about it, even now. 

And there we are! Let me know if you've read any of these books or had an interesting March. 

Love, Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com