February Wrap Up: The Non-Fiction Obsession


I read 14 books in February and I'm still asking myself how. For the first half I was slowly plodding on, narrowly avoiding a slump and wondering how the hell I would get through my TBR. Then something changed. I got into audiobooks (again) and found myself reading far more. I forced myself to sit down every evening and read and picked up some brilliant books (three five star reads in 28 days!).

Overall, I achieved a great balance. Three audiobooks, five e-books and six physical copies (including one library book). This also included four books for review - three of which are on the blog already. #justcallmesuperwoman

So, here is another wrap up! Again, I'm starting with my least favourite and working up...

1. The Doll Funeral - Kate Hamer


1/5


I received this book for a review and really wasn't a fan! I won't be writing a full review but to share my thoughts briefly: The Doll Funeral is really strange, too strange for me to fully enjoy.

2. The Secret History - Donna Tartt


3/5


In hindsight, I was sure I rated this a 2. I guess the elegant prose and intelligent style sold it to me a bit more, but that's really all this book is. The mystery of dead Bunny isn't that enticing and the characters are painfully wooden.

3. The Square Root Of Summer - Harriet Reuter Hapgood


3/5


This isn't your typical YA contemporary romance (like I believed). It's full of physics theories and scientific formulas which weave in with the plot to help Gottie come to terms with her deceased grandfather and failed relationships. It was okay, but almost put me in a reading slump and it took me about a week to get through this short book!

4. On The Other Side - Carrie Hope Fletcher


3/5


I have a full review on the blog about On The Other Side. I have so many thoughts about this book and I can see why it's had mixed reviews online as my own experience was varied. The idea behind the story (reliving moments of your life to pass through into heaven) was cute but not executed in the best way.

5. The Fever - Megan Abbott


4/5 


I love love love Megan Abbott (in case I haven't already mentioned that three trillion times on this blog) and I loved The Fever. I struggled to get completely absorbed in the story and I still don't know why, but I am so glad I read it. The plot perhaps becomes unravelled too fast at the end but otherwise I learnt so much from it as a writer.

6. Delirium - Lauren Oliver


4/5


So many four star books this month! I listened to Delirium as an audiobook and really enjoyed the concept of love as a disease. In this Lauren Oliver world, teenagers are 'cured' and set up in arranged marriages to prevent the dangers of love. The storyline was heavily predictable but fun all the same.

7. We Come Apart - Sarah Crossan and Brian Conaghan


4/5


Again, I have a full review for We Come Apart already up as I received an arc for review. It's a short, poetic and beautifully told story which touches on racial prejudice. I'd definitely recommend picking it up.

8. Beautiful Broken Things - Sara Barnard


4/5


A highly anticipated and fantastic read, Beautiful Broken Things is a YA about female friendship. I was worried that a romantic plotline would take over and was so thankful when it didn't because this story touched on so many important issues and, most of all, the character voices were so vivid. Seriously, I had a dream about this book the night I finished reading it.

9. Cinder - Marissa Meyer


4/5


I've said it before and I'll say it again, I never expected to like a fairytale retelling in which Cinderella is a cyborg. But it works! I can't wait to carry on with this series because it was an easy-read, dramatic and plot-fuelled story in a world that was well built by Marissa Meyer.

10. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon


4/5


If you've read my blog before you'll know that I often dislike long books because I usually find that they could've easily been cut, however when it came to Outlander I loved all 863 pages. While the romance was at times problematic, I'm conflicted in that I also rooted for it. Essentially, I found my new favourite historical romance. I'd also recommend the TV show!

11. The Fault In Our Stars - John Green


4/5




Am I the only person who doesn't rate this 5/5? Maybe because I reserve my fives so much... But I do think TFIOS is a fantastic book and I re-read it for an essay I'm writing at university. I know, fun. It's well told, well characterised and - most importantly for me - well structured. Seriously, I've learnt so much from John Green.

12. Happy Mum, Happy Baby - Giovanna Fletcher


5/5


Okay, I'm 20, unmarried and have no plans to have children anytime soon. BUT I LOVED THIS! I watch Giovanna's YouTube videos and so hearing her read this audiobook was like one extended chat. She touches on everything from getting pregnant to labour to breastfeeding to... everything! And it's not a tip book. It's a portrayal of being a mum from a mum with some hilarious anecdotes.

13. Doing It! - Hannah Witton


5/5


This month I was lucky enough to receive a copy of Doing It! from Wren & Rook. It's the upcoming non-fiction book by YouTuber Hannah Witton about sex education. Her dream is to get better sex ed in schools (the kind that includes LGBT and answers questions on taboo subjects like sex toys and sexting). I read the whole thing in one evening, I was so engrossed. Look out for my full review in April.

14. Talking As Fast As I Can - Lauren Graham


5/5


I feel like everyone who talks about this book starts with "as a huge Gilmore Girls fan" but as a huge Gilmore Girls fan, this was incredible. Lauren Graham talks through her experiences as a young person getting into acting, finding her way in Hollywood and returning to the biggest role of her career and growing older (older - she's not old). She reads the audiobook and I absolutely devoured it. I just wished I'd been able to see the pictures she included in the physical books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com