February TBR




In February I'm trying to balance getting through some more of my 'Around The Year In 52 Books' challenges, with reading for university and research for my writing. It's only a short month which makes this all the more exciting. So here's my list...

1. The Fever - Megan Abbott



By the time this post goes up I'll have finished The Fever already. It's unlike Megan Abbott's other novels because for a large portion of the plot, it doesn't feel like it has a crime element - that dark side is lurking beneath the surface. I love how she can balance that tension.

2. The Secret History - Donna Tartt



This is a book I'm reading for university - another young adult crime novel. Donna Tartt's one of those wildly famous authors that many writers aspire to be like. The Secret History is about a group of friends who commit murder - let's hope it lives up to the hype.


3. On The Other Side - Carrie Hope Fletcher



I'm intrigued to read Carrie's book as I've heard mixed reviews online and want to form my own opinion. It's a chance for me to complete my magical realism challenge and to see if this style works in the novel because the critical reviews are often against the use of magic.

4. Beautiful Broken Things - Sara Barnard



This one not only completes one of my challenges (read a category from another challenge - I picked a debut novel from the Book Riot Read Harder challenge) but it also fulfills my desire to read more YA romance. I've had Beautiful Broken Things on my shelf for five months and I absolutely loved A Quiet Kind Of Thunder so I'm excited to get stuck in.

5. The Fault In Our Stars - John Green



It may sound like I'm reading this for fun (that's partly true) but I'm actually writing an essay on The Fault In Our Stars for university. It's a great excuse to think about a book I love analytically and push beneath the surface.

6. The Square Root Of Summer - Harriet Rueter Hapgood



I treated myself to this book the other day as I saw it in Waterstones last summer and had an itch to buy it back then (I think it even had sprayed edges) but I resisted. Now is the time for some summery, young adult bliss to get me through February rain.

7. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon



Everyone says this book is brilliant and if the TV show is anything to go by then I've waited waaay too long. Outlander is about a woman named Clare and her life as she ends up going back in time. It's one of the most feminist romances I've come across - winning! This will also count towards my historical fiction challenge.

8. Cinder - Marissa Meyer



If I can fit this book into my TBR this month then I definitely will. I need all the YA romance I can get for my studies (sounds glorious, it is) and I've never read Marissa Meyer (is that criminal?). Cinder is the first in a whole series so this could be the start of a huge adventure.

What's on your TBR for February? Are your books grouping around the same categories and genres like mine? Let me know!

Love, Jess

2 comments:

  1. What a great TBR. I really want to read The Secret History at some point. I have The Square Root of Summer and need to find time for it. I loved Cinder. Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Secret History is one of those books that everyone has to read at some point but it's over 600 pages long and not exactly a chick-lit! After Gone With The Wind last month, I think I can take on anything haha. Hopefully I'll love Cinder too :)

      Delete

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com