REVIEW: The Sun Is Also A Star - Nicola Yoon

4/5


"There's this Japanese phrase that I like: koi no yokan. It doesn't mean love at first sight. It's closer to love at second sight. It's the feeling when you meet someone that you're going to fall in love with them. Maybe you don't love them right away, but it's inevitable that you will."

As a huge fan of Nicola Yoon's debut Everything Everything, I have been counting down the days for The Sun Is Also A Star for what feels like forever. I can tell you now, it was worth the wait.

According to GoodReads, I read more YA than anything else. YA Fantasy, YA Thriller, YA romance - I just love reading about teens. When your reading pile is so clogged up by one theme it can get repetitive - this is why I'm so happy to read Nicola Yoon. Her witty, original style is a refreshing burst of light in a crowded category (literally, just look at her book covers).

The Sun Is Also A Star tells the story of two teens at pivotal moments in their lives. Natasha and Daniel couldn't be more different. Natasha comes from a Jamaican family, loves science and is about to be deported. Daniel comes from a South Korean family, wants to be a poet and has an interview for Yale even though he doesn't really want to go to Yale.

"Growing up and seeing your parents' flaws is like losing your religion. I don't believe in God."

With short, snappy chapters and distinctive perspectives, Yoon merges two unique characters in a story of destiny, science, love and the power of an emotional connection. I found myself routing for Natasha and Daniel despite being just as unable to imagine their future as they were. It made me realise that love is never planned or expected, it just happens.

"Meant to be doesn't have to mean forever."

I found myself highlighting line after line, thinking "this is genius" and wishing I'd come up with it myself. Through the voices of her teens, Yoon comments on growing up under the pressures of culture, parents who want the best for you and life-changing events, such as immigration and college.

While it didn't quite live up to the 5/5 perfect review I gave Everything Everything, The Sun Is Also A Star shows that Yoon isn't just a one book wonder. She can craft fictional worlds like a true artist, painting the New York horizon just as vividly as a black hair-care shop. Emotional, invigorating and rewarding, The Sun Is Also A Star left me longing for further insight into the lives of Natasha and Daniel and while the ending was entirely satisfactory, I couldn't help but want them to be my best friends.

If you enjoyed Everything Everything, you'll enjoy The Sun Is Also A Star and if you're yet to read Nicola Yoon I ask: where have you been hiding?! You can get yourself a copy of The Sun Is Also A Star here.

Love, Jess

I received a copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com