The Big American Book Haul




Here it is at last - my first every book haul. Brace yourself, it's a wild one. By wild I mean totally tame because everyone should go mental when they see new hardback copies of amazing books at discounted prices.

Last week I visited Book Warehouse in Florida, USA. If anyone ever travels through the area I couldn't recommend this bookshop more. They focus primarily on backlist titles which have simply been overprinted (including many bestsellers) and titles can be up to 60% reduced, also often included on buy a few get one free deals. So, of course, I bought eight books when I visited.

Now, the best bit, the books...

1. Thousand Words - Jennifer Brown



Years ago I read Hate List by Jennifer Brown which tackles the difficult topic of an American high school shooting from the perspective of the gunman's girlfriend. I love how Jennifer Brown tackles huge issues and transports me into places and situations so hard to imagine. Thousand Words is about a girl named Ashleigh who goes through a nasty break up, shortly followed by the leaking of a provocative photograph of herself by said nasty boyfriend. This happens so much in our society but it's not something I can even begin to imagine going through so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into another Jennifer Brown novel.

2. Torn Away - Jennifer Brown



Yes, okay, this may be another Jennifer Brown book. I coudn't help myself! This one is about a tornado which spins Jersey Cameron's life out of control. She is sent to live with relatives she barely knows and has to search for hope in a world full of loss. I've gone through some grief myself this year and just had to pick up Torn Away - I feel like I can relate to Jersey already.

3. When You Were Here - Daisy Whitney



I picked up When You Were Here for a few reasons. 1. It's about grief. 2. It looks like an easy, relaxing read. And 3. It's YA from a male perspective. Whaaaat? That never happens. Well, it does, but it's rare. I'm so excited to get into the mindset of Danny who loses his mother to cancer and heads off on a worldwide journey to learn more about her.


4. The Fever - Megan Abbott



Earlier this summer I read You Will Know Me, the newest Megan Abbott novel and also my first experience of reading her work. I adored it. If you love psychological thrillers and that creepy feeling you get from reading of the most sinister situations imaginable, I couldn't recommend Megan Abbott more. I hope The Fever lives up to her glowing reputation in my mind. It's about girls who mysteriously start experiencing unexplained seizures.... 


5. Go Set A Watchman - Harper Lee



I don't even need to explain this one. I'm one of the few people who is yet to read Harper Lee's follow up to To Kill A Mockingbird and form my opinion on whether or not it should have been published. Flash forwarding to Scout, aged 26 and living in New York City, Go Set A Watchman apparently shows Scout reflecting on the politics of her childhood.

6. This Is What Happy Looks Like - Jennifer E. Smith




This is another buy based on an author I like. Admittedly, I read Jennifer E Smith's The Statistical Probability Of Love At First Sight years ago, but I am still excited to see what this romance has in store. The premise is of an online relationships which transforms into the real world, something which is oh so common today but not often portrayed in this genre. Plus, the cover is amazing.


7. Fixing Delilah - Sarah Ockler



Fixing Delilah was a bit of a random purchase for me. I have never heard of the author Sarah Ockler or this title before. It's about a young woman named Delilah who can't seem to stop her life from falling apart at ever turn. Set amidst family, friendships and relationships, this is said to be a fairly emotional book. I'll let you all know how that goes!


8. Bitter End - Jennifer Brown



Yes, I am very aware that this is another Jennifer Brown novel. I am even more aware that this is the third one in the haul but I had to. Bitter End is about the transformation of a loving relationship into one that turns violent  and damaging. How to spot the signs of abuse and how to escape seem the main theme of the story and I'm excited to get stuck in,.

A bit of food for thought now. As an author, a reader and a blogger I am often caught between the whirlwind of wanting books to be as affordable as possible so I can buy them yet recognising them as art which have taken a lot of work. There must be a balance but I'm not sure what that is yet. What do you guys think?

Love, Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com