REVIEW: Missing, Presumed - Susie Steiner

2/5


I'm going to get straight into this one because I hate leaving negative reviews and I feel like Missing, Presumed will appeal to some readers hugely - so stick with me.

When a young woman named Edith goes missing all anyone cares about is finding her. With powerful parents, a boyfriend and best friend who all seem suspicious at points, Edith's life is saturated with secrets and it's not until these are unravelled that the truth about her whereabouts arises.   

I struggled to read this book and found picking it up a chore, mostly due to the slow pace. The plot twists weren't unravelled soon enough and when they came (way too late) they were ineffective at shocking me. Don't get me wrong, the content should have been amazing, but the delivery completely let it down.

Yet, the biggest thing that ruined this novel was the lack of depth to the characters, especially Edith. She was meant to be the centre of the story but I never really felt like I got to know her properly. Manon and Miriam also play prominent roles but seem to have surface level personalities. I just couldn't connect with them no matter how hard I tried. However, the most badly written character was Fly. While this 10 year old boy doesn't play a huge part it was the main reason I wouldn't recommend this novel to any of my friends. Susie Steiner apparently doesn't know the maturity level of 10 year olds. Fly has a mobile phone and his text speak could be coming from a fully grown man, not a child. Even more hilariously, he apparently starts smoking. Has anyone else met a 10 year old that smokes? It just wasn't realistic at all. 

With that in mind, this crime novel has a lot of things going for it. I couldn't guess the ending at all, and the police procedures were evidently researched. The reactions to the revelations of information were believable and relatable and I can definitely understand why some people would enjoy this story. I've just read a lot of similar crime novels and so this didn't add anything to an already well-established genre.

I hope others get more out of this read than I did. If you want to pick up a copy you can buy one here.

Love, Jess

I received a copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com