Holiday Reads Wrap Up: 8 Amazing Novels

Confession: I've been away from the blog for a week while I was sunning myself in Spain. It was a bit of a shock to the system to leave the book blogging world behind for a while but it did give me the chance to read all day, every day - which, let's face it, is the dream.

As well as being a great holiday, the reading was a huge success and I devoured so many brilliant books, I just have to shout about them all on the internet! So here are the books I read while I was away (in the order I read them - any kind of hierarchy would be tricky)...

1. What's A Girl Gotta Do? - Holly Bourne


This is the third book in the Spinster Club series but you don't need to have read the others to enjoy this burst of feminism. It's a great example of why I love YA - great writing, huge topics. Lottie, the main character, is a mini-Bridget Jones in many ways and I love her attitude. I found myself comparing her experiences with my own and releasing my inner feminist.

2. Only Ever Yours - Louise O'Neill


Right, so when I downloaded this eBook for some reason I thought it was a story about the stresses about modelling. In fact, it's a dystopian future in which women are created for the purpose of fulfilling the lives of men. It was really interesting to read into the men, especially Darwin, and how they reacted to this society. It was frustrating and tragic but completely gripping. My heart just broke. Seriously, pick it up. 

3. The Lost And The Found - Cat Clarke


Seriously, I cannot stop thinking about this book. I finished it days ago but I'm still reeling from the plot twist. I kind of saw it coming as I got close but it was one of those moments in which you're like "no, no, no, no! Author what are you doing?! NO!" Isn't that the best feeling ever? The premise to this novel was also fabulous - a missing sister is returned to her family after being kidnapped 13 years previously.

4. The Sister - Louise Jenson


From one book about sisters to another! Many people will have spotted this one in the 99p section of the Amazon Kindle Store. It's definitely worth downloading if you're a fan of psychological thrillers. It was dark, gritty, creepy and suspenseful consistently and I absolutely adored all of the family dynamics. I've never had a sister and after reading this I don't think I want one...

5. If I Was Your Girl - Meredith Russo


Of all the books I read on holiday, If I Was Your Girl was aimed at the youngest readers. Having said that, I wouldn't want to put any older readers off from picking it up. Transgender characters are finally finding their place in literature and I'm thankful that the characters are not just orientated around their gender (that wouldn't be realistic, right?). For something light, eye-opening and fun, If I Was Your Girl is a refreshing read.

6. Bird Box - Josh Malerman


Having seen so many BookTubers go on and on about Bird Box, I had to give it a go. It's not something I would normally gravitate towards as it's a thriller about a world in which everyone has to be blindfolded to avoid some unknown monsters which are destroying the world. It was surprisingly mature and creepy. I wouldn't have wanted to read it in the dark, let's put it that way. If you're a risk taker, try Bird Box!

7. Between You And Me - Lisa Hall


When I think about this book all I can focus on is the ending. This story about an abusive relationship is powerful, put it that way. I still don't know if I love it or hate it but all I can settle on is this book is shocking. I read thrillers a lot so not much makes me feel like my stomach is flipping in surprise, but I was practically diving off the tallest building in the world when I turned the pages of Between You And Me. I devoured it in one sitting, I couldn't move from my sunbed or draw my eyes from Lisa Hall's talent.

8. How I Lost You - Jenny Blackhurst


The hyped up eBook, How I Lost You, didn't impress me from the first page but I am so happy I stuck with it. A complex array of characters, sickening twists and revelations and lots of untrustworthy names meant that my brain was frantically trying to draw the connections. It's not a detective story, but I felt like an investigator. With a satisfying conclusion, How I Lost You is an example of some of the exciting thrillers floating around.

Want to hear a full review of any of these titles? Let me know!

Until next time. Love, Jess x

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com