REVIEW: My Husband's Wife - Jane Corry

5/5


Where do I even begin? I'm truly shell-shocked. Across the past three days spent reading I have been thrown into the worlds of Lily and Carla whose perspectives tell the story My Husband's Wife. I have read and read and read, unable to tear myself away from the twists that the author Jane Corry kept throwing at me. If you're a fan of psychological thrillers like Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn), Girl On The Train (Paula Hawkins) or I Let You Go (Clare Mackintosh) then I urge you to pick up My Husband's Wife.

Some background to the novel: Lily and Ed marry after only knowing each other for a short while and it's clear from the beginning that they aren't a match made in heaven. Carla is a child, a neighbour's daughter that they babysit every Sunday. However, their lives stay tangled for the years that follow.

I think the strongest part of the story was the characterisation. Lily and Carla in particular were so original, which is what kept me so gripped. They didn't play the stock characters of a psychological thriller and I couldn't compare them to any other characters I can think of, a definite achievement. It's hard to describe them as 'likeable' but that just goes to show that some of the best stories don't stem from 'likeable' characters.

Jane Corry
Photo Credit: Justine Stoddart
I thought Joe was a really tricky character to come to terms with. Like Lily, I had a soft spot for him while also resenting that weakness. It made me reassess how we view criminals and how we lump them together under one label when really they are as different as you and I.

Jane Corry gave a talk at a University of Exeter publishing evening earlier this year, which I was lucky enough to attend. She explained her personal experiences of working in a prison and the balance of writing what you know, but also using your creativity. Having been published before under different pen-names and by different publishers, she seems to have now found her style with Penguin. I really hope she continues to write psychological thrillers - she can manipulate suspense so well it would be a shame not to.

The eBook of My Husband's Wife is already available here (currently for 99p!) and the paperback is due for release this August so let me know what you think of it!

Love, Jess

Thank you to Netgalley for supplying a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com