REVIEW: The Movie Version - Emma Wunsch

5/5


You might not have heard of The Movie Version yet but I'm sure you will. Think The Fault In Our Stars meets... Actually, I don't know what it meets. I've read a lot of books but The Movie Version is actually pretty original, something quite hard in YA genre.

Amelia (or Meals as her friends and family know her) has a pretty good life. She's had an easy summer job making some cash, she has a wonderful boyfriend who knows the right thing to say and she has some interesting friends and a loving family. She's particularly close with her brother Toby and the book includes little script segments which show how their childhood would have played out in a movie.

Obviously, not everything stays so wonderful. The story is about illness. I don't want to say what illness because the diagnosis was such a shock to me and I think it's too powerful to spoil. You can keep your eye out for symptoms and clues as much as you like but I didn't see it coming one bit and when I did I had this moment like "Yes! Such a good choice of topic!" because it's not anything I've ever read about before.

The illness was dealt with well, both thoroughly and realistically, and I liked the way every character had a purpose. There was no one I was left wondering about. In fact, there was only aspect that irritated me and that was how things didn't tie up perfectly. Epstein didn't make a last minute appearance like I thought he would and Toast didn't tell Muppet you know what. I mean, maybe that would have been too perfect and in real life some secrets are kept secret but still, in the movie he totally would have told her...

The Editor's Note at the beginning talks about reading the manuscript of The Movie Version and just thinking this is it. When I started the book I wasn't instantly hit with how special it was but within a few chapters I was clinging to it. You know when you're reading a book and you don't want it to end but at the same time you're reading it really fast because it's just so good? Yeah, that was me with The Movie Version. 

The Movie Version comes out this October and you can pre-order your copy here. I seriously hope they make a movie of it!

Love, Jess

I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com