Top 5 Thrillers That Keep You Guessing



Thrillers, especially psychological thrillers, seem to be the trend of the moment. There's been a stream of insanely popular thrillers circling about over the past few years and many of these have been picked up for film adaptations. I am not complaining. I love thrillers, so so much. The only thing I don't like is same-y thrillers, you know the ones that just tick the boxes but you can't remember even five minutes after reading the final page?

Amongst all of the copies out there, these are the top five thrillers that have truly kept me gripped throughout...

1. The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair - Joël Dicker


Last year this became my favourite thriller of all time. Seriously. It's originally an award-winning French novel, translated into English and it reminded me of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, a Swedish translation. The plot is crazy, there are so many twists but it all makes sense and I just wonder where this genius comes from. See my full review in Razz Magazine.

2. Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn


Chances are you've probably already read this or know loads about it. Not only was Gone Girl a gripping and fantastic book, but it also made a pretty amazing film. Personally, I think the book was more powerful because the characters were completely unreliable in that format, whereas in the film it was difficult for that to be translated. If you're yet to read it, get on it! It's a shame Gillian Flynn's other books aren't as fabulous.

3. I Let You Go - Clare Mackintosh


This one is the underdog on my list. I bought I Let You Go thinking it would be a bit of dramatic women's fiction (or 'what my mum would read' as I call that genre). This book was more dark and emotional than I could ever have imagined. I loved the way the plot was slowly revealed and hidden from me, nothing was obvious.

4. Girl On The Train - Paula Hawkins


Oh hello last year's global summer read. This book is arguably more famous than Gone Girl and it's also being turned into a film. I read this book really quickly and it taught me that not all great thrillers have to be brick-sized books. I've also heard a lot of criticism regarding many readers not liking the main character Rachel, but I felt like not liking her just added to the story... Thoughts?

5. Every Linwood Barclay Book Ever


It is way to difficult to choose just one Linwood Barclay book. Stand-outs include No Time For Goodbye, Too Close To Home, Never Look Away and Fear The Worst. I actually didn't start reading Linwood Barclay by choice, I was out in France when I ran out of reading material and my dad gave me Never Look Away - I never looked back! This Canadian author is the king of creepy.

So those are my top five thrillers. I couldn't include The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series as I haven't read the third (and final) book yet, which could be the ruin or pinnacle of the series. Let me know what your favourite thrillers are.

Love, Jess

4 comments:

  1. I loved Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train. They really got me. I did love The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series as well. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would seriously recommend The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair then - it's the best!

      Delete
  2. Good list! I've read 4/5 with the Harry Q book languishing on the shelf. Sounds like I need to get cracking on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! It's a thick book but I loved every page!

      Delete

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com