Top 5 Books For Escaping Revision

For a few lucky students out there exams are already over (not meaning to brag) and the summer is an open haven of reading, reading and (you guessed it) more reading. For the past few weeks of heavy revision I've been trying to balance reading for my degree with reading for fun - believe me, there's a distinct difference. After spending many hours re-reading Shakespeare during the day, I wanted to settle down in the evening with some light, enjoyable reading that would whisk me away out of the world of revision and exams. So, to share a little bit of escapism, here are my top five books for escaping revision...

1. Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell



Brace yourselves, this book will probably be featured a lot in my blog. I absolutely love Rainbow Rowell's style of writing. Eleanor & Park is effectively John Green's The Fault In Our Stars without the cancer/dying part. Instead, the novel focusses more on issues of race and poverty, but most importantly and like TFIOS, love. Goodbye revision, hello romance!

2. After You - Jojo Moyes


With any book that comes second in a series, your brain can somewhat relax. Jojo Moyes already set up the crazy world of Lou in her sobfest novel Me Before You, and this sequel picks up after the horrendously emotional ending of the previous book, with Lou attempting to move on with her life... And failing. This one definitely puts into perspective how small our revision worries are compared to the big wide world.

3. Spill - Giles Ward


This collection of short stories is hilarious and satisfying. Even if you only have time to dip into one story, it's a great way to take your mind of everything bogging you down and laugh a little. I loved how realistic the characters were and how easily I could picture everything, truly taking me away from my studies.

4. Since You've Been Gone - Morgan Matson


Emily without Sloane is hard to comprehend. But when Emily is forced to be without her best friend and actually try to stand on her own two feet, she starts a crazy journey. When reading Emily's story I couldn't stop, I literally couldn't. This book is dangerous if you want to get a good night's sleep because it will take over your life. Having said that, isn't losing track of time a good sign that you're truly away from all that work?

5. The Opposite Of Loneliness - Marina Keegan


If you don't want to get out of your revision brain entirely, read some of Marina Keegan's essays or short stories. They're both gripping and inspiring, both in content and the fact that they were written by a fellow student. Marina's story is a tragic one but a lesson to us all to make the most of everything we're passionate about. You can dip into this one and get the motivation and can-do attitude you need to get you through your exams.

Hope that list is a helpful one! What are your favourite books to read when you're studying? 

Love, Jess

6 comments:

  1. I love Eleanor & Park and After You!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainbow Rowell is fabulous! Have you read any of her other books? Would recommend Fangirl, it sounded quite childish but it's almost on a par with Eleanor & Park for me now!

      Delete
  2. I'm actually very interested in reading The Opposite of Loneliness and see what that fellow student has to say. Oh, and I finished my exams a 8 days ago ;)) Hang in there!!

    Lola @ Hit or Miss Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You so should! Marina went to Yale so it can be a bit overwhelming how smart she is, but so so inspiring to become more like her! &Thank you, will check out your blog :)

      Delete
  3. I love Eleanor & Park, it's one of my favorite books! And all of Morgan Matson's books are incredible just as well :) good luck for your exams! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love Fangirl too, have you read that? I'm currently reading Morgan Matson's The Unexpected Everything and am absolutely in love with it, it might be her best one yet <3

      Delete

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com