REVIEW: The Unexpected Everything - Morgan Matson

5/5


It's so easy and enjoyable to sink into one of Morgan Matson's YA novels and her latest release, The Unexpected Everything, is no different. The story follows a Congressman's daughter called Andie, and that is exactly how she is defined - by her father's job. Andie plans to do everything in her power to stick to her plan of getting the impressive experience she needs for her supposed 'dream job' in medicine but when things don't go to plan she finds herself living in the moment, which is strange. I can definitely relate to Andie as I too always feel the need to have a plan, to be on track, to know exactly where it is that I am going. When I was reading TUE it made me stop and think that mabe I should relax a little and live in the moment, it seemed to work for Andie after all. 


If you've read Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl (which you should by the way) you'll recognise the style that Matson uses in TUE. There's a female lead, who in Fangirl is a writer but in TUE knows a writer, whose fictional works are featured sporadically throughout the novel to throw in some parallels of the action. While I really wasn't a fan of this technique in Fangirl, I think it worked a lot better in TUE. Still, I'm hoping Matson doesn't bring out the equivalent of Rowell's Carry On as I wouldn't want to read this fantasy interlude as a whole novel.

Photo Credit: http://www.morganmatson.com/

The cover of the book is beautiful - there's a different cover for the American version but I think both of them are so visually appealing. Exactly like Matson's last book, Since You've Been Gone, the green backdrop and protagonist on the cover makes it look summery and unique. It's hard to put a person on a book cover and make them look good, but TUE does that wonderfully. It looks a bit like The Square Root Of Summer by Harriet Reuter Hapgood which also came out this month and I'm now wondering if I should get my hands of a copy of that?... Anyone?

The American cover.
Back to the story and I absolutely LOVED Andie's friendship group. Not only did I want to be in it but I thought their text conversations were a great way of developing their relationships. Also, Matson is really talented at making fiction seem real - the way her characters talk and think is so believable that it makes the plot all the more powerful. For me, I think I preferred this novel to her previous ones because it was longer so there was more for me to get stuck into, and because I related so much to Andie. Matson covered grief, romance, self-discovery and the struggling awkwardness between a teenager and their parent all in one, 500 page, stunner of a novel. The Unexpected Everything gets a 5/5 from me and I'm already eagerly anticipating Matson's next book!

You can buy the book online here.

Love, Jess

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this one!! *flails* I have it on reserve at my library and I AM MUCHLY EXCITED. I looooved Since You've Been Gone, so I definitely need more Matson books in my life. :') Plus books with emphasis on friendship are just AMAZING. And, I won't lie, I love dogs. And the dogs on the front cover just give me happy flailing feelings. :')

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the cat people out there might not be best pleased... Let me know how you like the book!

      Delete
  2. I love the comparison to Fangirl! I definitely got that feel while reading it too. And these covers really are gorgeous. I can't wait to see what else Morgan Matson brings us! Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I get so impatient waiting for Morgan Matson books but it is always worth it. I seriously hope at least one of her books (or Fangirl) gets picked up for film too, that'd be amazing :)

      Delete
  3. I loved reading TUE too! After years of Andie being so careful for the sake of her father's career, I loved seeing her break out of that cautious shell and learn to live in the moment. That sometimes the best things happen when they're not planned. The friendships, Clark (!), fun moments with the dogs --- there's so much to love about the book.

    I also really enjoyed The Square Root of Summer! (And the cover is sooo gorgeous!)I know there's some mixed reviews, and some people had trouble with the physics side of explaining the possibility of time travel, but I thought it was a great debut. Gottie mourns the loss of her beloved grandfather, and when summer comes around, she finds herself losing time, traveling to the past. It's heartfelt, sometimes a little offbeat, and wistful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yes, you make me want to re-read this book again already. There's so much to love! Also, I am becoming more and more convinced to try The Square Root Of Summer, I recently lost a grandparent and so might relate to Margot and find it quite powerful.

      Delete
  4. This is on my TBR after reading Since You've Been Gone. I'm hoping I get it on loan soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! You should read Amy & Roger's Epic Detour and Second Chance Summer too!

      Delete

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com