REVIEW: How Will You Remember Me? - Janine Cobain

2/5


How Will You Remember Me? is the story of a woman named Catherine who is journeying through grief and love, and generally just looking for happiness. Her story starts with the funeral of her ex-husband Jack and from there Catherine re-evaluates those around her and how she lives her life. I thought she was quite a simple character but this worked for the story as it made her very relatable. 

While I wasn't a huge fan of the way the romance was told (there was some problematic objectification of men which had it been gender-reversed would have been extremely offensive), I liked the genuine feelings of love in the story. Andrew and Jessica seemed to genuinely love each other, and their family is built on hard-work and compassion, a realistic and moving portrayal. Catherine is somewhat lustful, but at the end of the day she wants someone to genuinely love her and she's not going to change for a man who isn't right for her - I respected her for that.

Author Janine Cobain
Photo Credit: A Book Blog From Ecuador

Unfortunately, I could only rate this book 2/5 on Goodreads. I didn't enjoy the shifting perspectives of Catherine and Connor and felt like it was a little unbalanced between them, meaning I felt like I barely knew Connor. Also, at 20 I think I'm a little young to understand how it feels to be approaching 40 and single, so perhaps someone older than me would appreciate this story more than myself. It's not that I wouldn't recommend it, just that the ideal readership is somewhat narrow and I don't fit into that niche.

I don't think How Will You Remember Me? is about the plot of Cobain's fiction. I don't even think it's about the characters. I think it's about the human instinct to want to feel cared about and as though we have a place in the world, even after death. That sentiment is a powerful one.

Let me know if you've read How Will You Remember Me? and what you thought of it. If you haven't but are interested, you can buy the book here.

Love, Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com