REVIEW: Dorothy Must Die - Danielle Paige

5/5

“For anyone who likes a good story turned on its head, Dorothy Must Die is a must-read.” (Huffington Post)

I’m a little late to the party. Actually, I’m a little late to two parties. The first being the joys of fantasy fiction or magical realism (since Harry Potter and Twilight I’ve not really felt that ‘wow’ from a fantasy novel), and the second being that Dorothy Must Die is an awesome novel.


When I saw a BookTuber mention this book in one of their videos I added it to my Amazon WishList instantly, even though I didn’t really understand what the book would be about. From the title I established that it would be about Oz but in some dark, twisted way, but I really didn’t know what else to expect. So when it was circulating again recently I thought, why not? Sometimes starting a book with no idea of what it will be about can be so enjoyable!

Author: Danielle Paige
Photo Credit: Huffington Post

So, let’s get through all the basics. Dorothy Must Die is about a teenager named Amy from Kansas who finds herself in Oz, completely unsure of what the hell she is meant to be doing. She meets all sorts of characters along the way, from flying monkeys to gardeners, and finds herself on a mission to kill Dorothy. Dorothy is the evil, totalitarian leader of Oz who is sucking out all the magic out of the land. Good becomes evil and soon enough evil becomes good… Kind of.

I was worried the story would become childish or silly but it completely didn’t; I fell in love with most of the characters and found myself just wanting to be in Oz so badly. Amy’s head is such an interesting place to be. She was bullied in Kansas and often felt let down by her mum but she’s still got such a huge fighting spirit which I absolutely love in protagonists. While there is an element of romance to the story, Amy doesn’t get swept away in besotted thoughts for too long, meaning there’s a balanced and realistic portrayal of love and adventure. Who doesn’t love realistic fantasy?

I gave this book four stars, mainly because of how unique and gripping it is. The writing is all so precise, with really detailed descriptions that provide beautiful images without being boring. I enjoyed how likable the characters were, despite having their own personal flaws (cough Nox cough) and also how magical the story was without being cliché. The only reason I didn’t give it that fifth star was because I felt like the motion of the book was pretty static at parts, which made some of Amy’s thoughts feel a little repetitive – but it was so tiny that it really didn’t affect the reading experience that much.

For anyone interested, there’s a few prequels to Dorothy Must Die including No Place Like Oz, The Witch Must Burn, The Witch Returns, Heart Of Tin, The Straw King and Ruler Of Beasts – plus there’s a seventh novella coming out this summer. There are also two sequels, The Wicked Will Rise and Yellow Brick War. I will definitely be looking to read more of this series in the future as it completely enthralled me.

You can buy the book here or from most book shops.

Love, Jess

P.S. The CW are thought to be in talks of turning Dorothy Must Die into a TV series. Hell yes!


2 comments:

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com